California’s Golf Cart Laws

California's Golf Cart Laws

What are California’s Golf Cart Laws?

Since we primarily sell golf carts and are located in California, we are going to stick to the laws that pertain to these types of vehicles for only this state.


Do I need to register my golf cart?

If the golf cart is being operated on a highway designated for such use by ordinance or resolution within one mile of a golf course, then no.

You may NOT operate on a road with a speed limit above 25 mph except by ordinance or resolution by a local authority.


Required Golf Cart Equipment

In order to operate your golf cart, your golf cart must meet the required equipment standards established by the California Highway Patrol. Along with actually having the equipment, you must also submit the Statement of Facts (REG 256) (PDF) to the DMV. This form states the vehicle meets the definition of a golf cart (CVC §345) and has not been modified.

If the golf cart is gasoline-powered, it must bear a label certifying the vehicle complies with California emissions requirements.

If you drive your golf cart on the road it must be equipped with:

  • At least one headlamp, tail lamp, and stop lamp.
  • A rear reflector.
  • Front/rear turn signals.
  • Front/side reflectors.
  • A mirror (located in a position to allow the driver a rear view of at least 200 feet).
  • A horn.
  • Fenders.
  • A safety-glazed windshield.
  • Windshield wipers.


This is just a quick look at the laws for California. Every state has different golf cart laws, so, if you live in another state, be sure to check your state laws as well as talk with your local municipality.

Back to top